The motion picture industry has a significant environmental footprint.
The Sustainable Production Alliance (SPA) carbon footprint report noted that, between 2016 and 2019, SPA’s member company productions showed average carbon emissions that demanded attention.
- Tentpole productions had an average carbon footprint of 3,370 metric tons (approximately 33 metric tons per shooting day), while large films averaged 1,081 metric tons and small films averaged 391 metric tons.
- On the TV side, one-hour scripted dramas recorded an average of 77 metric tons per episode, while half-hour scripted single-camera shows had 26 metric tons per episode.
(For comparison, the University of Michigan reported that the typical annual carbon footprint of a U.S. household in 2021 was 48 metric tons.)
Reducing Carbon Footprints
One Hour TV
Half Hour TV
When it comes to film and TV productions, fuel consumption in production vehicles and generators accounts for the largest portion of greenhouse gas emissions, representing 48% to 56% of emissions for films and 58% for scripted TV dramas.
Here’s an eye-opening fact: burning one liter of diesel produces 2.6 kg of CO2 and 49 g of NOx, both harmful to the environment and crew health. That’s why Salt-E Dog is a game-changer on location. It generates zero harmful CO2 or NOx emissions, effectively saving up to 11,800 kg of CO2 and 222 kg of NOx per unit per year compared to a diesel generator. And that’s not all—it’s also portable, silent, and weather-resistant, making it the perfect choice for eco-conscious productions.
The Salt-E Dog offsets greenhouse gas emissions, allowing productions to offset 2.6 kg of CO2 and associated NOx per liter of fuel saved.
Pure Power, No Compromise
In the dynamic world of motion pictures and television, safeguarding your valuable equipment is paramount. Cameras, lights, monitors, editing systems, and other production gear are the lifeblood of a smooth and efficient production process. However, any interruption in power can pose a significant risk, potentially leading to equipment damage that can drain your time and budget with costly repairs or replacements.
It’s crucial to have a reliable power source that ensures maximum protection and minimizes the chances of expensive mishaps. This aspect is sometimes overlooked when planning energy requirements for a film shoot, resulting in a potentially pricey oversight. Anton/Bauer makes no compromise with safety, so the Salt-E Dog has a stable pure sine wave output and the unit is IP55 rated to be weatherproof.
With Salt-E Dog’s clean and stable power output, you’ll have no concerns about dirty power wreaking havoc on your delicate lighting and audio equipment. Its pure sine wave output matches the quality of grid power, providing you with the confidence to power your set flawlessly. So rest easy and focus on capturing every shot without a hitch.
The Old Way
TV and film sets heavily rely on expensive, noisy, and polluting fuel generators as their main power source. Just take a look at the setup in this image—it costs around $100k and takes approximately two days to set up on-site. Here are some key points to consider about these generators:
- Generators are loud. The average generator emits approximately 73 decibels of noise, causing not only health issues for the crew but also disturbances for the general public.
- Because of the noise, they need to be placed at least 400m away from any camera position. The resulting noise often needs to be edited out in post-production.
- One litre of diesel fuel contains 0.73Kg of pure carbon.
- Burning just one litre of diesel fuel releases 2.6Kg of CO2 and 49g of NOx, contributing to greenhouse gas emissions.
- NOx emissions are 300 times more harmful than carbon emissions.
With all these detrimental factors in mind, it’s clear that there’s a pressing need for a cleaner and more efficient alternative on TV and film sets.
The Simple & Sustainable way
Salt-E Dog offers a simple and sustainable approach to address environmental and noise challenges. With multiple AC and DC outlets and a pure sine wave output, Salt-E Dog reduces the need for extra equipment and eliminates expensive 3-phase cables.
- With its whisper-quiet operation, it can be placed closer to the set and eliminating the need for time-consuming postproduction edits to remove generator noise.
- Its sodium-based battery cell eliminates the costs and hazards associated with using and storing fuel. It emits no CO2 or NOx pollutants, creating a cleaner and more pleasant working environment while reducing the carbon footprint of your production.
Salt-E Dog is the practical and eco-friendly solution to improve your workflow while prioritizing the well-being of your team and the environment. Join the pack and experience the future of sustainable production.
Green your scene
The Anton/Bauer Salt-E Dog is the first sodium nickel battery designed and built for the modern cine industry.
Using sodium chemistry, the battery delivers consistent, reliable power that is cleaner and more environmentally safe than fossil fuel generators or lithium power supplies.
With no noise, and no pollution, the Anton/Bauer sodium battery helps productions to deliver on sustainability pledges and maintain quality standards without compromise.